Friday, February 18, 2011

I am super excited for this: my very first blog post! I have been reading lots of fantastic teaching blogs over the past few months. There are some seriously amazing teachers out there. So I finally decided to join in the blog party.

Cara Carroll of The First Grade Parade is one of my favorite bloggers. She is a 1st grade teacher who shares some adorable ideas. Recently she posted this "Meet the Teacher Linky Party". Even though the Linky List is technically closed, I thought it would still be a fun way to start out my blog! Here it goes...


Here I am. I am a serious planner - I love to plan everything - so wedding planning was like a dream for me. Our wedding day was one of the very best days of my life! I have been married for 2 1/2 years now. I met my hubby in high school. We parted ways in college when he went to Michigan State and I went to The University of Michigan (go blue!). We still love to tease each other during football season...and basketball season...and hockey season...and - you get the idea. :) But anyways, we ended up together and I couldn't be happier! We don't have any little ones...yet...


However, we do have a furry little one - Maggie, our Maltepoo (Maltese and Poodle mix - technically a mutt:))! She is the sweetest dog! She is the topic of many Writing Workshop stories in 2nd grade.

Speaking of 2nd grade...this is my 4th year of teaching (that is so hard to believe!). During my first year, I taught Young 5's and fell in l-o-v-e. I thought that was definitely the perfect grade level for me. But then when I took a full time 2nd grade position, I fell in love all over again. I adore 2nd graders. They are still so innocent, but yet they have the independence to do so much more. I can honestly say I love my job, and love going to work everyday. They always keep me smiling!

One more thing I love about my job: I work with some of my BEST friends. I am very blessed! Here they are (minus our newest addition - Molly!).



Now for the Q&A.

Q: What would you be doing if you weren’t a teacher?
A: I think I'd really enjoy wedding planning! Or maybe I'd be Tinkerbell at Disney World.

Q: What are your hobbies?
A: I agree with Cara - I think teaching is definitely a hobby, and it is one of my favorites! Aside from that, I love shopping (a lot!!!), cooking, going to/watching movies, playing tennis, traveling, and just hanging with family and friends.

Q: When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A: When I was really little, my dream job was a cashier at Toys R Us. :) When I first got to college, I started out pre-med. I thought I wanted to be a doctor, or more specifically, a pediatric endocrinologist. I wanted to be able to help kids cope with Diabetes.

Q: What are your guilty pleasures?
A: Fountain Diet Coke (especially from McDonalds), Desperate Housewives, shopping online (Nordstrom, Zappos, Piperlime, Amazon...the list goes on!), my iPad and iPhone, and my Ugg slippers! I even wore them to school once (by accident). "No, class - I am not wearing slippers! These are clogs!" Oops. :)

Q: What is your biggest fear?!
A: Hmm. Crossing bridges is up there on the list. I have recurring nightmares about it! Terrifying.

Q: When you’re on vacation, where do you like to go?
A: I like a little bit of everything! I love skiing in Vail, relaxing at my parents' house on Marco Island, and being a kid in Disney! Our honeymoon to Maui was definitely the best trip I've been on. I haven't been too many places I DIDN'T like. I love traveling.

Q: What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
A: Treat others how you'd like to be treated! Simple, but so true.

Q: What do you value most in others?
A: I love people who are kind, genuine, and also those with a sense of humor!

Q: If you could choose one of your personality traits to pass down to your kids, what would it be?
A: I guess the empathy I have for others. I think I got this from my mom, who is one of the sweetest people I know. She is always thinking of others and how they are feeling. Thanks for passing this on to me, Mom!

Q: If you could have lunch with anyone in the world….living or dead…who would it be?
A: No question...my sister, Amy. She passed away when I was 16. I miss her everyday!

Now tell us one random thing about yourself:
I am a Type 1 Diabetic. I will be celebrating my 20th "Diabersary" next year! Despite having the disease for nearly 20 years, I have no complications, and am happy to report that I live a very normal life! :)



No comments: